172 Temporality of rights (possibly to CRMsoc)

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
awagner
172 Temporality of rights (possibly to CRMsoc)

I came across this today. Actually, I was interested in the temporality of an obligation, or, more abstractly, of a legal provision rather than a right. Here are a few things that came to my mind:

I think a legal provision is most likely a E 89 Propositional object (or maybe even a E73 Information Object?), because I imagine a prescription or allowance to be making a modal, or counterfactual proposition or a proposition about a normative/counterfactual reality. It has a propositional content (in CIDOC's terms, it is "about" something in the sense of a subject). Since it the same provision may be expressed in, say written English and Sign Language without thereby producing two provisions, it is not an E90 Symbolic Object, and E72 Legal Object is something *to which* instances of E30 Rights can be applied, not something describing and instituting those rights.

Now, as a subclass of E 28 Conceptual Object, it "cannot be destroyed". This is rightly so, because its existence is not identical with its normative validity/its coming into or going out of force. A provision can even specify when it comes into force, entities can refer to provisions that have been out of force for a long time...

This would require that we distinguish between the (E65) creation of a provision and the events related to their legal force. To me it seems such events and the maybe more abstract notion of an institution (rather than the specifically legal institutions) would be relevant to something like CRMsoc but are not covered in what I found as CRMsoc 0.1 from March 2019. (I hope this is the most recent one.)

What do you think?

awagner
Sorry I realized too late

Sorry I realized too late that there is a longer-standing, official CRMsoc initiative with probably many prior discussions of which I am totally unaware. Anyway, as a person working in legal history, or, more specifically, as Digital Humanities officer at a legal historical research institution, I am _very_ interested in this topic and I wonder if it would still be possible to join or become part of this initiative? Would it be necessary to join the CIDOC as a member?